Recently ish Beck has become a huge cinephile, someone who loves movies. In particular he's watched a significant amount of old or foreign films. I have watched three particular ones I've really enjoyed. The first was Ikiru, a Japanese film that has become my favorite. The next I watched with him was La Haine, a French film about police brutality that was an easy 5/5 for me. Finally, we watched Seven Samurai right before I left, a film by the same director as Ikiru, and the lead in it was the same as Ikiru, Takashi Shimura. The way Beck watches a lot of these films is a subscription to The Criterion Channel that he has. They specialize in renewing and making old films in higher visual and audio quality, allowing wide access of old or foreign films. He allowed me to log onto his subscription on my laptop (originally to connect to the large TV in the Living Room to watch movies, but now for my own viewing pleasure), so I plan to utilize this.
On the plane on the way to the UK I watched The Godfather, an old film that Beck has recommended before that was really good. I woke up this morning and decided randomly I really like what Beck is doing and want to try and watch and review a film a day, to the best of my ability, ideally from his subscription, but most importantly, something new. I might end up specializing a lot in Akira Kurosawa or Takashi Shimura films but will try to broaden what I watch.
UK Day 1 Film; The Godfather
A really great film, I didn't have my full attention since Cailey and I were playing some Toad's Treasure Tracker, but the film was compelling despite the extreme length (about 3 hours). It was fun listening to French people and the story overall was really good. De Niro playing Vito was amazing and extremely iconic, I think that's who Mr. Big from Zootopia's accent is based off of. Overall a 5/5, Beck has great tastes so far.
More movies to come! I'll probably just leave them at the bottom of my UK Day Summaries!
No comments:
Post a Comment