This will probably be my last weekly update of movies, from now on it'll just be monthly-ish and less details, since I'm now done with Kurosawa. When I finished Kurosawa I questioned if I still would be excited for movies since I was so amazed and into everything Kurosawa, but luckily I got back into the swing of it. My letterboxd spread will probably start to look more reasonable since I won't be watching someone widely considered one of the best directors of all time, which is probably a good thing lol.
This week had a surprising amount of color in it! I watched the rest of Kurosawa obviously, this week inlcuded The Most Beautiful (the only movie I've disliked strongly by Kurosawa, but Sanshiro Sugata pt ii isn't too good either), Dersu Uzala (a Russian film he made), Dodes'ka-den, The Quiet Duel, The Hidden Fortress, Rhapsody in August and I rewatched the best, Ikiru. I also watched After the Rain, which is the last screenplay Kurosawa wrote and was directed by someone he mentored, which I thought was mid, I liked the story and music in it but it wasn't quite Kurosawa, although many shots of rain and weather were included as a nod to Kurosawa that I loved.
Other than that I watched Ponyo with Cailey, a Ghibli film I hadn't seen yet. I also watched Modern Times by Charlie Chaplin for the first time, which I thought was pretty funny, I tried to remain unbiased since I'm not a big silent film person. I watched Drive with Beck and Cailey which was not what I expected at all, but I still liked it a bit. That same day, June 30th, we went as a family to watched the new Spider-Man, Brand New Day, and I liked it a bit and it was a great watch. Yesterday I watched Obsession at Paul's with Cailey and Jacks, and Kiara was visiting and Payton was there, which is probably my favorite horror film, maybe tied with Longlegs or Kwaidan, both are amazing as well. I also watched the first two films of a trilogy by Hiroshi Inagaki about Musashi Miyamoto, the samurai who popularized the two sword fighting technique, who is played by the amazing Mifune Toshiro. It's also a color samurai film which is really cool! Took me a sec to recognize Toshiro cause every other film I had seen with him was only in black and white. Beck and I also just finished Sunset Boulevard which I thought was good, he really liked it though, gave it a 5/5, I gave it a 2.5/5. Beck and I might watch Psycho later, which I'm excited for.
The "favorites" that I watched this week were technically Ikiru and Obsession, one of mine and one of Emersyn's, but both were rewatches. I plan on watching The Social Network tonight to talk to Zander about tomorrow on his P-Day since he loves that one. Throughout this month I would love to get through Kristin's, Matt's and maybe all from Mom and Dad too (which would definitely include a rewatch of Mean Girls).
I also changed my ratings a little bit to have more differences between them and (in my opinion) more reliably represent what I actually thought of films based on my ratings. .5 is still hate, 1 is dislike, 1.5 is mid, 2 is eh, 2.5 is average, 3 is good, 3.5 is great, 4 is amazing, 4.5 is near perfect and 5 is peak cinema, or essentially a perfect movie in my opinion.
I also finally got more discs to add to my collection! I'm super excited for both, I bought The Human Condition trilogy, which were all absolutely amazing movies in my opinion, especially the last one. I also bought a copy of Dodes'ka-den, which although most didn't like I thought was such an amazing movie overall. I'm glad to add more since the only ones I have right now are Ikiru and Ran. Hopefully one day I have a big enough collection to put on shelves, but I don't ever plan to be someone who buys every movie they've watched or ones they've never seen, probably only every get movies I rated high or love to watch a bunch. For now the collection (for me) is 4 cases (although technically 6 movies since one has three in it), and I can't wait to keep growing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment