Been another little bit so I can finally update my movies! I've watched a lot more mid movies recently, but still some amazing ones. I watched Psycho with Beck, which I really loved and it's clear why it's a classic. I also watched one of Beck's all time favorite movies with him, The King of Comedy, which I thought was really good and definitely not what I was expecting based on the title. Rewatched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with him and Jacks, a really good but strange movie, and probably my favorite role Johnny Depp has done. This most recent weekend Cailey, Jacks, Beck and I went over to Paul's to watch Hard Boiled, an old Korean action film that Beck really likes, and we all were in love with it. Cailey gave it a 4/5 which was very surprising to me, I didn't know she would like that type of film so much. Beck and I kept joking that it was basically Rush Hour without Chris Tucker or any comedy, cause she really loves that film. The final film I watched with Beck was Samurai Rebellion by Kobayashi Masaki, which was really good, although a lot less action than most other Samurai films, which was okay but probably lower on the old Samurai films I've watched, maybe only beating Sword of Doom. Some less good ones with others include Rear Window with Beck, Masters of the Universe live action with the boys (which was an enjoyable movie but obviously nothing spectacular), and arguably one of my least favorite films of recent, The End of Oak Street.
I'm a big dinosaur/extinct vertebrae nerd and I was super excited for this movie, the trailer showed realistic depictions of what they looked like and how they sounded, so I was pretty excited to see how this was going to go. Similarly it had Ewan McGregor and Anne Hathaway, two amazing actors. About half way through I realized this was going to be a garbage film. Dinosaur behavior was far from realistic, a lot of logic leaps, there was really no story, and I was only impressed by the looks of the dinosaurs. Cailey got a good hour long rant by me about how unrealistic the dinosaur behavior was, but to summarize the worst; they held off a dinosaur two times their weight pushing against a door, dinosaurs would be minimally injured and run away, Spinosaurus don't rely on smell because they mainly eat fish, most of those dinosaurs shouldn't be there, why would a simple arrow change the focus of a Titanoboa when it was about to eat someone? and a lot of dinosaurs acting like prey instead of a predator. The whole premise was that a wormhole transported a small section of the city into the same spot millions of years earlier into the dinosaur age... but that story makes no sense because certain dinosaurs lived millions of years apart and would require multiple time wormholes for them to be there together, many swamp animals were in Montana (idk if they said where the town was but 3 dinosaurs I recognized have plausible locations in that region), and why would a Spinosaurus be there if they're from Egypt? Probably the weirdest part but even still an accuracy complaint, for a laugh they had dinosaurs having sex (I think Diplodocus but they didn't specify the dinosaur, I assumed based on region time and look, but they for some reason had a lot of fur which no sauropod similar to Diplodocus would have had), and they take a photo with it, anyways, based on bird behavior we can assume how sex with dinosaurs would've worked and it would've just been a cloacal kiss, and MAYBE would've lasted 20 seconds max, not the like five minute scene that we had to watch. That's enough complaining lol, Dad gave it a higher score than me but I gave it a 1/5 because I was bothered by the accuracy of dinosaur behavior.
By myself the best movies I watched were; Scarface (the original one, it was a 3.5/5 for me but mainly came from me buying Scarface without realizing it wasn't the Al Pacino one lol). I also watched two Edward Yang movies, Yi Yi, and A Brighter Summer Day, both of which are in the top 25 movies on letterboxd. I gave both a 4/5, and I liked Yi Yi more, but idk why but I don't see his movies as near perfection, but they definitely were really good. My favorite that I watched by myself was A Taxi Driver (2017), a movie about a Seoul taxi driver driving a German guy to show the Gwangju city riots and brutality, it's based on a true story about Hinzpeter, who exposed South Korean brutality and corruption to the world that was otherwise being censored. I enjoyed the historical context and the story was amazing, and it had Song Kang-ho who I really like. Other include Ring (1998 - Japanese), Brothers (2009) and Tropic Thunder, all pretty mid.
I also have a better movie collection now! I organized the ones Cailey and I both have and took the animated Batman from my parents cause I was going to try and rewatch those soon. I also got three recently at Half-Price Books with Cailey, I bought Fear and Loathing which I've wanted but didn't want to spend a lot on, but I found it for cheap, Hard Boiled, and Scarface (which I didn't realize was the old one cause I didn't know there was an old one lol). I'm enjoying growing the collection and can't wait to slowly grow it and get more. I currently have a preorder for KPop Demon Hunters cause Criterion made a disc for that with really cool art, but I have to wait until November for it to come out. It's organized as Criterion Collection, Ran, Ghibli, Cailey Movies, Animated Batman Series. Small right now but one day it'll be better.
No comments:
Post a Comment