Monday, July 6, 2026

Movie Update!

 Once again not a lot of movies, but definitely some great ones this week. The night of the 29th we watched Barbarian, one of Beck's favorite horror movies and one I've always loved. On my own I watched Drunken Angel, I Live in Fear and Dr. No. With Beck I watched Reservoir Dogs, Lars and the Real Girl and Scarface.

Chipping away slowly at my Kurosawa list with Drunken Angel and I Live in Fear. Drunken Angel was amazing and I gave it a 4.5/5, it was about a gangster who was fighting with his doctor and eventually getting close to him because he had TB, which at this point was a death sentence essentially, and him trying to help the gangster, who ends up helping his family in the end. I really enjoyed it and it was the first film that Toshiro Mifune was hired for a major role, and ended up later being in 16 Kurosawa films and was one of the most famous Japanese actors of all time. Takashi Shimura was also in the film, one of my favorite actors, and played the doctor. Easy film to absolutely love, and was nearly a 5/5. I Live in Fear was about a doctor (who Shimura played lol) trying to decide if Toshiro (played  by Mifune) was insane or had reasonable enough ground of fear to move his family to Brazil. It was really cool because it was set pretty soon after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which the film was released just 5 years after those events, and showed the perspective of those who had to live through the bombings and how much it impacted them. 4/5 and another great Kurosawa film with Mifune and Shimura. Shimura seems to have a thing for playing doctors really well. This next week I'm hoping to watch No Regrets For Our Youth, The Bad Sleep Well, The Hidden Fortress and maybe The Red Beard, but I have other movies I need to watch.

Those movies are the original 007 movies. I was talking to my mom and mentioned wanting to watch Grandma and Grandpa's favorite movies. Grandma's is super obvious, it's well known her love for It's a Wonderful Life, and I got a copy of the disk from Russ when he passed, so I'll definitely be watching that. When talking to my mom she mentioned really fast that Grandpa Arrington loved the original 007 movies, which was surprising but also perfect. The Criterion Channel, the subrscription Beck has to watch old movies, has the original three 007 movies with Sean Connery, so I want to watch those three and my Grandma's favorite before G&G Camp so I can talk to them about it. I watched Dr. No this week which was really good, a 3.5/5, so a great movie. I plan to watch From Russia with Love and Goldenfinger sometime this week.

With Beck Lars and the Real Girl was really good, a 4/5 and it was overall interesting, funny and a great story. Reservoir Dogs I gave a 3/5, it was a good movie but was similar to Usual Suspects but not quite as good in my opinion, still a good movie though. Scarface we watched just today and was great, I gave it a 4.5/5 and it was an enjoyable movie to watch and one that's been on my list for awhile.

My goals still include all Kurosawa and Beck's list but I would also love to go through people's top movies and watch them, so far I've seen all of Beck's top 4, Abby's top 4, at least 2 of Dad's top movies and I want to watch the other 2, and all of Cailey's top 4 and at least one of Mom's favorite (Mean Girls). Probably try Kristin and Matt's soon and all grandma and grandpas from both Arrington and Barnes. So far all top movies people have had have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment