Sunday, July 12, 2026

Big News About School!

Cailey the other day was talking to me about something she was really stressing about, ISU had raised the tuition, which was expected since they said they probably would, but by more than we thought. Furthermore, without us knowing, they raised the cost of housing too, by like $1,000! Plus our biggest scholarship, Idaho LAUNCH is only a two year scholarship, so therefore ending, and was paying $2,000 a semester. She seemed really stressed and I instantly had a thought, but I decided to wait on it cause it seemed so crazy...

And then it kept coming up and I kept thinking, so I wrote it down and planned it out and finally decided to talk to Cailey. I gave her three possible options; 1. Go to school, take loans and still beyond those loans (quick fun fact, recently FAFSA got changed so that if you get married you're not supposed to switch it if you've already submitted your application, we've been real lucky with FAFSA changing so much the past few years we've been in college lol, especially since the first year we were in college probably had the worst FAFSA changes) we would still pay about $2,000 each while getting debt. Option 2 was to go online part time and work a bunch at home and stay in Boise, which had the con that we had to be full time to keep our scholarship, and if you stop it stays stopped. The final option was full time online while staying in Boise and working a decent amount to save and go back to Pocatello next year. Cailey really hates sudden and quick change, she loves familiarity and consistency, so she was pretty stressed about this whole idea. She talked it over with me for like an hour, with my parents and I for half and hour and had to call her friend Jasmine. At the end we decided it was best to stay in Boise the entire school year to save money on gas, food and housing, while being able to work better. While in Pocatello this year our schedule was full from morning until 5 PM about every single day, so work would've been difficult. Plus we're paying less for school without loans if we stay home. I'm pretty pumped and Cailey's coming around to it. The only con is we have to go an extra semester compared to before, but we were planning on graduating a semester early so it's essentially just normal graduation at that point. This year I (guaranteed) have Existentialism, Behavioral Neuroscience I, Applied Behavior Learning I and Archeology. I'm waitlisted for an anthropology class, Medical Ethnobotany, and Learning and Behavior, which I'm really hoping to get. Thanks to us staying Cailey can actually pursue and finish two minors she thought about dropping, and I can add (and actually finish) Applied Behavior Science and Psychology minors that I really wanted to do originally. I'm excited for what this year will look like, I know it'll be fun and offer unique experiences that'll be fun. Beck and I will have plenty of movie watching time and I'll get to spend more time with Jacks and Emersyn throughout the year!

Today we got a dresser and built it together and organized our room a bunch, only a little bit left to go and we're all ready for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment