Tuesday, June 23, 2026

Past Few Movies and Redoing My Letterboxd

 The past few days have had some amazing movies. We definitely haven't been watching as much overall, and not as many new movies, but to make up for that I've been trying to watch movies at night. Over the past few week we've done a lot of anime, Kubrick and old movies. With Beck I've seen Barry Lyndon, Marty Supreme rewatch, 2001: A Space Odyssey (Beck's all time favorite), Nausicaa, Perfect Blue, Shawshank Redemption, Amadeus and Howl's Moving Castle. My favorites were Shawshank Redemption, about an innocent man who was convicted and him dealing with that, which Cailey, Beck, Dad and I all gave a 5/5 to. Amadeus was also absolutely amazing, I'm really into classical music and musicians and Amadeus has always been fascinating to me given his large amount of work for only living to 35. I also thought they did an amazing job portraying him correctly, he was usually considered childish and made a lot of jokes and toilet humor, which the movie reflected in the character. It leaned too much into him and Salieri being enemies when they were actually friends and is the main movie that spread the "Mozart was poisoned and died" lie, he likely died from Rheumatic disease, as he had many issues early on in life with similar symptoms that almost killed him. Overall an amazing movie. While it was a rewatch Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite Miyazaki Studio Ghibli movie and was fun to watch with Beck. Both Nausicaa and Howl's were new Ghibli movies for Beck and he thought pretty highly of both! Perfect Blue was good, but the ending was amazing, just not so much the beginning and middle. After watching Shawshank we convinced Dad to get letterboxd (the app we use to track and rate movies), and today I convinced Greyson, so we're slowly getting everyone on it!

By myself I watched Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill, The Cremator and Cure. The Cremator was my favorite personal movie this week a fascinating and really really well shot movie. Probably the first where I was constantly admiring the way it was shot over the story, although the story was still really amazing. It's about a Czech cremator who slowly becomes fascinated with the Nazi agenda and explored his beliefs becoming more extreme. It was fascinating to see him as he was a very "pure" man who followed a routine and rules and needed justification (his whole reason for cremation in his mind was to free the spirit from the body), and his slow justifications for Nazi ideologies. Obviously as I said it was shot insanely well to show how strict, rule driven and socially awkward he was. It also did an amazing job at getting you into his head space and probably one of my favorite parts is the times it was shot that are similar  to the 0.5x photos we do today (pictured below). And the ending explored how he dealt with his wife being Jewish and therefore his children half-Jewish and how that played out. Easily the best shot movie I have ever watched in my opinion, although a close second is Barry Lyndon. Easy 5/5 for me and added to my top 4 movies. My second favorite was probably Branded to Kill, a very odd movie but still amazing. It was about an assassin and everyone becoming obsessed and losing everything to achieve their goal.



Beck teases me cause I like movies too easily and my ranking was rather arbitrary. Recently I went through and gave exact meanings to each of the star rankings to make it easier to have exactness in my ranks. I'm still left-skewed and has a lot of highly rated movies, but instead of a complete left skew it peaks at 4 stars. 1/2 stars are movies I hate and never want to watch again, an example is Jurassic World Rebirth. 1 star are movies I dislike but would watch if asked, such as Happy Gilmore 2. 1.5 stars are movies I would watch, such as The Minecraft Movie. 2 stars are movies that are rewatchable, such as Beautiful Boy. 2.5 stars are good movies like Ferris Bueller. 3 stars are great movies, such as Spaceballs. 3.5 stars are excellent movies I will almost always say yes to such as Inception. 4 stars are peak cinema and always a yes like Donnie Darko. 4.5 are movies that are perfect, like Mean Girls. And 5 stars is only for the best of the best movies, something that exceeds all my expectations. I'll list my top five movies as example for me; Ikiru, Grave of the Fireflies, High and Low, The Cremator and Howl's Moving Castle.

Other random stuff recently, Cailey got her wedding dress back, did her nails with Mom and Emersyn today, been playing Rivals with Beck and Greyson more, Skyrim with Cailey, some Pandemic and cooking or planned to be cooked meals this week. Very exciting, wedding is in two days (from when I post this), and should be tons of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment