For EMT if you had at least 80% in the class and all work turned in you were eligible for EMT Clinicals, or a short shift where you would go in and have working experience with others in the hospital. I finally got to do mine in March but I got my TB Test done in the end of January. It was really cool and fun and I confused the nurses as I usually do by asking if I can stare at the shot that they're giving me and asking them to explain it. I always find it funny to surprise the nurses by wanting to look at shots. During the TB Test I also did get a vaccination. A few days later, I think a window of 48-72 hours, they look at it to see if there is a significant sign of TB. I knew I had never had it but it was interesting to me how Grandma Arrington is from Ireland as was given a BCG vaccine as a kid, so she always shows positive, and my Grandpa Arrington did get TB at one point in his life. My clinicals were scary but really fun, due to HIPPA laws most I can give is age and gender but I'm still able to describe slightly what was interesting about what happened. First off a bad start, I was walking to it and saw an old guy fall down so I had to help him, which didn't help my nerves. The girl I was with was extremely nice and showed me around and explained what to do. I was tasked with BP and Vitals, which was easy. My most interesting cases were broken glass causing a major cut on their arm, a hernia, a broken arm he was very chill about, and that was about it. The rest were pretty mild. We were given a rating system of 1-5, known as Triage, to rate how immediate their need for care was. Overall most were complaints of pain, about half from pregnancy. One downside I experienced was I had one patient the first 3 hours of my shift, including a short 45 minutes where my helper left to eat pie because it was 3/14 or pi day. Then the final hour of my shift I had the other 9 patients I needed to document for EMT class. I had a lot of fun, it was stressful having it be my first time but I was able to catch on quickly. There was one kid who screamed at the top of their lungs for almost an hour because they had to share their Doritos, they weren't even the one with the pain, it was their brother, so that was fun and we ended up moving them to a private room. The only other major point of talking is before my clinical, like only ten minutes before, there was a child admitted for trying to murder their twin, so that was crazy. I loved the experience and time I got to practice taking vitals and at one point an EKG, and it was a nice introduction into the actual experience of the medical field.
No comments:
Post a Comment